Like a string of pearls the writer of Hebrews connects one truth with another and inserts "Let us" instructions along the way demonstrating that truth must be lived out--acted upon. Truth demands a response.
After he establishes the superiority of Jesus as High Priest over that of Moses and the inability of the children of Israel to enter into the land of promise due to unbelief and disobedience, he exhorts believers with five "Let us" statements:
- Let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short . . . (4:1)
- Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest . . . (4:11)
- Let us hold firmly to the faith we profess . . . (4:14)
- Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence . . . (4:16)
- Let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity . . . (6:1)
- Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart . . . (10:22)
- Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess . . . (10:23)
- Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds . . . (10:24)
- Let us not give up meeting together . . . (10:25)
- Let us encourage one another . . . (10:25)
- Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles . . . (12:1)
- Let us run with perseverance the race . . . (12:1)
- Let us fix our eyes on Jesus . . . (12:2)
- Let us, then, go to him outside the camp, bearing the disgrace he bore . . . (13:13)
- Let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise . . . (13:15)
Questions for today's Chronological Bible reading:
- How does the final prayer ending this epistle fit with the overall theme of this book?
- What are the implications of the statement "God is light" in the lives of those professing to have fellowship with the Father?
- How can someone really know that he knows Christ?
- Make two columns and make a list of the contrasts found in 1 John .
- Make a list of the "by this we know", "if we know"; and "you know" statements.
- What is a believer's relationship with the world's system?
- How does John describe the Father's love?
- What takes place in a believer that makes it difficult/impossible to live in a lifestyle of sin? (3:9)
- How does love manifest itself in life?
- How do believers know that He lives in us?
Ask the Lord to help you to both know the truth and walk out the truth in your life.