Zechariah recorded a wonderful pre-figuring of the Lord Jesus Christ. Zechariah chapter three opened with the scene of Joshua the high priest dressed in filthy garments and standing before the LORD. Further, Satan stood ready to accuse him. In a wonderful display of grace, however, the LORD rebuked Satan, robed Joshua in rich garments and renewed Joshua's priestly commission.
This passage gives hope because it reveals the activity of God toward all of His children. Every believer who comes to God by faith in Christ experiences this same mighty work. We come before the LORD dirty and condemned. Satan, the accuser of the brethren, attacks us relentlessly. Through the intercession of the Lord Jesus Christ, however, our filthy garments are removed and we are robed in righteousness. The LORD rebukes our enemy and silents his accusations. The LORD restores our joy and renews our commission. He fills us with purpose and gives us the power to fulfill the tasks He assigns. The heart of imputed righteousness is the removal of sin by God and the robing in His righteousness. We can do nothing to obtain righteousness. The Lord removes the filth of our sin and He declares us righteous.
Questions for today's Chronological Bible reading:
- Why is the Lord angry with Israel's forefathers?
- What promise does God make regarding Jerusalem?
- What was the Lord's response to the angel's question? What does this tell you about God and His relationship with the angels?
- How does God express His love toward Jerusalem and her people?
- What names does He give the people of Jerusalem?
- Describe Satan's activity and God's response to his activity?
- What does the gold lampstand and the two olive trees represent? (See Revelation 11:4)
- What do the flying scroll and the measuring basket represent?
- Where does Zechariah obtain silver and gold and what does He do with the materials?
- What does God promise regarding the Branch and who does the Branch represent?
- What relationship will the Branch have with Joshua?
Thank the Lord that He imputes righteousness to those who receive His righteousness and that Satan's accusations are empty. Ask Him to help you invest your life well so that the fruit of your life will bring glory of His name.