How people respond to the proclamation of God's Word by God's man tells you much about their spiritual understanding. Those who are "blessed" receive God's Word while those under the judgment of God reject His Word. Judah's response to Jeremiah and his message reveal the hardness of hearts toward God.
Six of the Psalms begin with with "Blessed is the man." At least fifteen other chapters in Psalm describe the man who is "blessed." All of the verses have to do with the role the Word of God plays in a man's life (Psalm 1:1; 2:12; 32:1, 2, 12; 34:8;40:4; 41:1; 65:4; 84:4,5,12; 89:15; 94:12; 106:3; 112:1; 119:1,2 and 128:1,4).
- Those who fear the Lord delight greatly in His commandments
- Because they delight in the Word they trust in Him
- Those who trust in Him know and experience His forgiveness
- Therefore, they are able to walk in an undefiled way as they fellowship with Him
- Those walking in fellowship with Him express compassion toward others
Chronological Bible reading: Jeremiah 43:1-44:30
- What were Jeremiah's instructions concerning Egypt?
- Why do the people want to flee to Egypt?
- How do the people respond? Anything new? What does this tell you about those who worship idols?
- What was God's word to the people as they travel to Egypt?
- Review Proverbs 16:25 and 19:21
- What picture does Jeremiah paint using the stones? What does this tell you about God?
- What does God promise will happen to the Jews in Egypt?
- Review Isaiah 46:9-10
- What will happen to the remnant?
- What sign does Jeremiah give the people so that they would know that His threats were not empty?
- Describe Jeremiah's circumstance when these words were penned.
- What is his attitude?
- If you had been a prophet at that time what temptations might you face?
- Where does Jeremiah's hope lay?
- When things are difficult what is the focus of your prayers?
- What is Jeremiah's focus?
- What is Jeremiah's view of God?
- How does Jeremiah respond to his situation?
Ask the Lord to help you to become the kind of person who can experience the blessing of God.