This blog exists as a simple guide to help those who desire to read through the One Year® Chronological Bible, NIV (Tyndale, 1995, 1984 NIV translation). Contents on this blog are copyrighted.
Go to www.chronologicalbibleteaching.com for the blog that follows the One Year® Chronological Bible, NKJV, NLT or 2011 NIV.



Thursday, June 30, 2016

The God of the Living (Isaiah 8:19)

 "When men tell you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper and stutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living?"

God gives his prophet Isaiah a peek into the future. He is the Living God. He sees, He knows and He reveals His plans regarding the future, "Remember the former things of old, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient time, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please" (Isaiah 46:9-10). Therefore, I can consult the Living God on behalf of the spiritually dead!

In the night I awoke with a burden for one of my children. Instead of fretting and worrying I turned to the Living God on their behalf. Years ago I asked the Lord to speak to my heart and give me a promise for each of my children. As I systematically and daily read through the Word of God a particular verse leaped out at me. The Spirit of God bore witness with my spirit that this promise was for my middle child. Years have gone by and nothing has changed in this particular child's life (now an adult). Do I panic? Doubt that I heard correctly years before? No. I praise the promises of God. A promise given by God is a check you can take to the bank and cash out.

God only does what He says He will do. Scripture is God's primary way of revealing His will today. Our Father reveals His love, His commands, His warnings, His exhortations, His character, and His promises through His Word. As I abide or "remain in him" and His words "remain in me," I can "ask whatever" I wish, and it will be given to me (John 15:7). In this same passage, Jesus even states that the Father is glorified by my fruit bearing and that fruit bearing demonstrates true discipleship. Faith in the promises of God produce fruit--the very fulfillment of His promises! A promise made by God is a promise fulfilled by God. God, then, looks for those who will hear and believe His promises.



Why, then, should I worry when I can consult the Living God on behalf of the spiritually dead?

Questions for today's Chronological Bible reading:
Isaiah 7:1-10:4
  • What situation was occurring that caused King Ahaz to panic?
  • What promise does the LORD give to King Ahaz to calm his heart?
  • What is the significance of the names given to Isaiah's sons?
  • What Messianic promises are given in today's reading?
  • List the reasons for the Lord's anger toward Israel.
  • What does God promise that He will do to those who willingly harm Israel?
  • Even in the midst of judgment what does God promise He will do that reveals His mercy?
Turning truth into prayer
Ask the Lord to speak to you from His word and give you promises regarding the situations of your life that you worry about. Ask Him to help you discover, believe, and appropriate the promises of God.