This blog exists as a simple guide to help those who desire to read through the One Year® Chronological Bible, NIV (Tyndale, 1995, 1984 NIV translation). Contents on this blog are copyrighted.
Go to www.chronologicalbibleteaching.com for the blog that follows the One Year® Chronological Bible, NKJV, NLT or 2011 NIV.



Monday, May 16, 2016

Theologically-Rich Music (1 Chronicles 25:1)

 "David together with the commanders of the army, set apart some of the sons of Asaph, Heman and Jeduthun for the ministry of prophesying, accompanied by harps, lyres and cymbals."

David understood and utilized music to teach theology. He desired that this tradition continue after his death so he set apart certain men to put theology to music. Psalm 78 was written by Asaph. This Psalm tells the story of Israel's rebellion while in the desert and teaches the following lessons:
  • Israel's deliverance from Egypt was miraculous
  • Men are prone to forget what God has done for them in the past and need constant reminders
  • The heart is more deceitful and rebellious than we think
  • God faithfully shepherds His people in spite of their rebellion to fulfill promises given to Abraham
In every generation God raises up similar men and women to put theology to good and culturally relevant music. Before the Throne of God Above, recorded by Selah, teaches strong theology in captivating music.
Before the throne of God above
I have a strong, a perfect plea
A great high Priest whose Name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me
My name is graven on His hands
My name is written on His heart
I know that while in heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me there depart (2x)
When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end to all my sin
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me (2x)
Behold Him there the risen Lamb
My perfect spotless righteousness
The great unchangeable I AM
The King of glory and of grace
One with Himself I cannot die
My soul is purchased by His blood
My life is hid with Christ on high
With Christ my Savior and my God! (2x)

Theologically sound music honors the Lord while stimulating the mind, rejoicing heart, and lifting the spirit of man.

Questions for today's Chronological Bible reading:
1 Chronicles 25; 1 Chronicles 6:31-53
  • Who supervised the sons of Asaph?
  • Who supervised Asaph, Jeduthun and Heman?
  • What does this teach you about authority and submission?
1 Chronicles 26
  • What method did David use to assign work assignments?
  • What was the purpose of posting Levite guards at various points around the temple?
  • List the various responsibilities given to the Levites.
Turning truth to prayer:
Thank the Lord for theologically sound music. Pray for your favorite Christian songwriter. Ask the Lord to protect him/her from sowing to the flesh, to keep them fresh and intimate with Him.