What in the world was Doeg doing standing in the midst of Saul's officials? Doeg is a descendant of Esau, the Edomite. Doeg demonstrates what happens when you make alliances with men who are wicked and profane. King Saul has so sold himself to work evil in the sight of the Lord that he listens to and even enlists a foreigner to kill the priests of the Lord. Had anyone told him years earlier that he would kill Israel's priests he wouldn't have believed it.
Saul has totally lost his way as king. Jealousy has blinded his eyes to his purpose, so that, instead of protecting his priests, he has them killed. When he kills the priests he kills the voice of reason, the voice of conscious (that is why vocal evangelical pastors are under attack today). Saul rewards the loyalty of the priests with evil and in so doing invites the judgment of God to his own home.
This sad event teaches us that when you allow evil people a voice in your midst or a place at the table you will most likely listen to their counsel.
Questions for today's Chronological Bible reading:1 Samuel 22:6-23
- What is beginning to happen between Saul's officials and Saul?
- Describe Saul's mental state at this time.
- What does this psalm teach you about vengeance? About the righteous?
- How does David deal with the evil that men do?
- What does his prayer teach us about how to prayer for evildoers?
- Following the death of the priests and people of Ahitub what keeps David walking uprightly?
- What does David take time out of his running from Saul to do?
- Describe David's relationship with the Lord during this time of his life. What does this tell you about David?
- How do the people of Keilah repay him for his intervention? What does this tell you about human nature?
- Why do they betray David?
- What does Jonathan and those around Saul recognize about David? Saul?
- Why do the Ziphites betray David? What do you think motivated them to betray David?
- How does God intervene on David's behalf?
- What does this story teach us about David's spiritual life during this time in his life?
Ask the Lord to show you areas in your life where you are allowing evil doers a place at the table of your life (TV shows, friends, etc.).