Left to themselves man will offend a holy God and destroy one another and themselves, therefore God gave the nation of Israel laws to protect themselves from self-destruction. The Ten Commandments were not given for salvation but for protection--protection from treating God and one another lightly and protection to keep the nation of Israel intact. They also reveal the tendency of the human heart to treat God and one another without due respect.
God made promises to Adam and Eve and to Abraham regarding the coming Seed who would come and save them from their sins. Without the Ten Commandments to guide and guard their relationship with God and one another they would quickly degenerate in their behavior to the point that they would not be any different from the nations around them. The Law, therefore, was given to differientate between Israel and all of the wicked nations around them.
Questions for today's Chronological Bible reading:
- How does God describe His bringing Israel up out of Egypt?
- How does God describe His relationship with Israel?
- Why does God establish parameters around at the foot of the mountain?
- What do the ten commandments teach about God? Creation? Interpersonal relationships?
- What is the root cause of coveting?
- Why were the people so afraid of God?
- What does the law regarding female servants tell you about God's view of women?
- How do the various laws differentiate between deliberate acts causing harm and accidents?
Pray for the United States of America. We, as a nation, are imploding by our own wickedness. We need to repent before our God.